By Jonathan Welsh
Electric-car maker Tesla Motors, which is involved in a dispute with the New York Times over a review the newspaper ran of its Model S electric-powered sedan, released a long statement about the matter on its blog. The message includes several charts displaying data Tesla said it logged during the test-drive.
The car company said its information indicates several parts of the article are inaccurate.
The Times said stands by a statement it made Monday that its article “was completely factual, describing the trip in detail exactly as it occurred. Any suggestion that the account was ‘fake’ is, of course, flatly untrue. Our reporter followed the instructions he was given in multiple conversations with Tesla personnel.”
Times reporter John Broder reviewed the Tesla Model S in last Sunday’s paper. In the story he recounted what he said were numerous battery-related problems that cropped up on a trip between Washington, D.C., and New York, and eventually led to the high-tech car being hauled away on a flatbed truck.
Tesla boss Elon Musk responded earlier this week with a rebuttal and said he’d have more to say shortly on the company’s blog. “We are upset by this article because it does not factually represent Tesla technology, which is designed and tested to operate well in both hot and cold climates,” Tesla said in today’s statement.
The car maker also said the Model S has been tested by ”hundreds of journalists,” sometimes in extreme climates, without any such problems. Tesla said its logs show that “our Model S never had a chance with John Broder, ” and that the reporter ”simply did not accurately capture what happened and worked very hard to force our car to stop running.”
The Times said it is still reviewing Tesla’s latest statement and plans to post a more detailed response soon on its Wheels blog.